He moved to Mexico City for his professional studies, where he went to Mining School and the San Carlos Academy.
In September 1855, Jalisco's governor, General Santos Degollado announced an open a call for proposals to start the construction of a new theater. Gálvez won and he was granted the contract to start building it on April 30th, 1856.
At the beginning of 1858, when the war between liberals and conservatives broke out, the construction was forced to stop.
After the war and the conservative's victory, liberals where forced to migrate, Gálvez among them.
Later on, the imperialists and owners of the City square, along with Leonardo Márquez, who was in charge of the square, asked Gálvez to come back and finish the theater.
Teatro Degollado was originally named Teatro Alarcón, in honor of the Mexican playwright. It wasn't until 1861 that Pedro Ogazón, the governor at that time, renamed the theater.
Gálvez and Gerardo Suárez worked on the construction and decoration of the dome in 1859, using imagery inspired by Canto IV of Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy.
Jacobo Gálvez was a renowned Mexican painter and architect. He died on June 1882, in Guadalajara. In 1986, for the 100th anniversary of el Teatro Degollado, his statue was placed at the Rotonda de los Jaliscienses Ilustres (Honorable Citizens of Jalisco's roundabout).
Keep enjoying our historic center and learning about the legacy of the Honorable Citizens of Jalisco.